Past NMAG EventPart 2: Funding Needs, Gaps and Recovery Response in New Mexico’s Tribal Communities
Two-Part Webinar Series
Funding Needs, Gaps and Recovery Responses in New Mexico’s Tribal Communities
The New Mexico Association of Grantmakers and the New Mexico Department of Indian Affairs will host a two-part Funder Webinar on the following dates:
Native people are extremely at-risk to the virus with their health status already compromised by high rates of diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, and other chronic illnesses. During these webinars, we wish to amplify the voices of Native communities who are often invisible in “normal” times and seriously exacerbated in times of crisis.
The Webinar for funders, investors and others interested in supporting our Tribal partners will serve to:
- Learn what is happening in Tribal communities in New Mexico because of COVID-19.
- Identify the urgent unmet financial and resource needs and gaps by geography and within Tribal communities.
- Share what the NM Department of Indian Affairs has been organizing for Tribal communities in response to the pandemic. (National Guard, Need for safe drinking water and proper wastewater disposal, healthy, fresh food easily accessible for Native people, relief and emergency funding).
- Learn how nonprofit grassroots organizations serving Tribal communities can play a significant role in the COVID-19 pandemic recovery period. (e.g., Far East Navajo COVID-19 Response Fund Northern Diné COVID-19 Relief Effort (NDCVRE))
- Describe the current emergency relief funds available for Tribal communities.
- Describe the current grant funding and loans available through the Federal Government.
- Identify new resources to help native nonprofits with federal COVID-19 economic relief programs.
- Consider the mid-and long-term strategies for addressing the infrastructure and capacity need in Tribal communities (e.g., public health systems, broadband internet access, safe and healthy built environments – water, air, soil, neighborhoods).
- Help funders understand what role they can play in helping the NM Department of Indian Affairs and Tribal communities during the COVID-19 pandemic recovery period.
New Mexico Department of Indian Affairs
New Mexico Foundation
Santa Fe Community Foundation